Friday, July 7, 2023

Bucket Lists


I was never the sort of person who felt like I needed to make a "bucket list." I'm not even sure why. Maybe I was just too lazy to make one! Or maybe it seemed sort of morbid. Or maybe I just didn't know what I would put on one. Maybe I just didn't see the point. 


Then something changed, clicked along the way. We suffered some big losses and hardships in 2022. We also had some big wins and some very good fortune as well. Weird how life doles it out like that, so often. Among the losses came a reminder that life is short, but it can also be sweet, even amid the heartaches and the hardships. 


I decided a bucket list wasn't' morbid, it was just a list of goals and dreams. Who doesn't need more of that? I decided that I can get up and sit on the edge of my bed and cry for the first five minutes of every day, because my heart hurts, in Prague as well as Pierson, Iowa. I decided I should do that. I should do that because I'm the only one who is going to live this life for me, and although it's not perfect and not always the way I imagined it, it's wonderful and completely worth living to its fullest. 


The difficulty and challenges that keep coming at us don't cease. We just get older and hopefully a little better at coping with them, but we shouldn't wait for a magical time when everything is perfect to plan to do the beautiful things in life, whatever that means for you, personally. 


Write a list. Make some goals and dreams come true. Do some of them now. Do some of them next year. Keep knocking them off your list. 


Die trying to do all of them. 


Note: This was originally published back in January, but I felt the need to revisit it.


More at hiddencottageatlinncroft.com

No comments:

Post a Comment