Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Furnishing the Cottage on a Shoestring

I always tell Andy, "I want the good stuff. I just don't want to pay the good stuff prices." 














And I don't. Not for vacations, not for shoes, not for this project. If I have to pay more than $20 for a pair of shoes, I get crabby. 

My grandmother, Mae brought me up as a thrifter. I remember going to garage sales with her on the weekends, quite often as a child. She taught me to shop clearance racks and she was a coupon queen. 

Mae wouldn't have it any other way, so almost everything that goes into the cottage will have to fit into one of these categories. 

1) Free, donated or repurposed from something we already have

2) Purchased used, in very good condition, but at a notable discount over new

3) Custom built by Andy, materials only

I also like that this fits into an eco-friendlier plan by reusing and repurposing items and building with lumber that we already have, scraps and all. 

Now I admit, this is going to be a little easier for me than most, as 1) I'm closing a 4BR short term rental and have a pretty good supply of items needed. 2) My husband can build (almost) anything. 

However, I don't want the cottage to look and feel just like The Lady Next Door. This needs to feel new and fresh. Modern farmhouse.

Yes, I know, everything points to farmhouse style being on its way out. I can't be concerned with that. I live in a 100+ year old farmhouse. On a farm. Furnishing it with ultra-modern decor would be as uncomfortable for me as looking at NY apartments with oversized round wall clocks, all-white furniture with black accents and rustic decor. It may be pretty, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me. Context, people. 

I want it to feel comfortable yet a little luxurious. I'm not sure how it will all unfold, but I came across the perfect plates that I had left from a catering gig a few years ago. Ten of them. In my palette. They went directly into a tub labeled, "Cottage."

I will try to be open to the opportunities and possibilities that present themselves. 

However, I really can't see myself including any antlers. Even if I can get them for free.


No comments:

Post a Comment