Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Roxy-The Original Influencer








I lost one of the best humans I've ever known in 2022. Roxana Jo Fudge. She absolutely lived up the sound of that name. She was four feet, eleven inches of extraordinary. She was one of the great influencers of my lifetime and continues to be so.

She was a great influence on many people, especially women. She loved to see women around her challenged, successful and fulfilled. She was not threatened by the achievements and accomplishments of other women. She relished in the success of the women in her life, whether it was baking a cake, taking a 500-mile bike ride or becoming a professor, she was always there, literally jumping for joy.

Besides, Roxy had plenty of her own achievements. Roxy taught me that competing against other women was childish and counterproductive. Against yourself, that's how the real bad-ass women compete. 

Among the many and varied lessons she taught me, was how to be happy for others when good things happened for them, even if those good things were not happening to me. She so easily understood and put into action the idea that supporting someone when good things were happening for them, with her joy and enthusiasm, allowed her to be a part of that good fortune, even if only indirectly. 

She also understood that something good happening for another had no bearing on whether or not good things would come to her. She anticipated good things coming to her and felt there was no reason they wouldn't. It certainly wasn't dependent on anything that was happening for others around her, so why not share in their happiness? 

She once said to me, "I wonder if friends who can't be happy for you when something great happens for you, are very good friends at all?" 

See what she did there? "I wonder." As in, "I'm not telling you what to think. I'm just asking the question." Planting a seed, for thought to grow.

Then the next thing out of her mouth comes, "I hope I show that I am happy for my friends when good things happen to them." 

See what she did there? As in, "I hope I do for them what I wish them to do for me. Do I?" Planting a seed, for reflection and improvement to grow.

Many of the plans and projects I'm working on now, including upcoming travel, the children's book, recovering my health and the cottage itself have been inspired by how well she lived and loved her life. If she wanted to do something, learn something, go somewhere, Roxy went after it. I would like nothing more than to follow in her tiny footsteps. 

She taught me so much. She taught me to believe in myself and my vision, even if no one else did. She encouraged me to be brave, she traveled with me, she pushed me outside of my comfort zone when she could, and she held me accountable. She taught me to choose my battles and to accept that not everyone is going to feel about you, the same way you feel about them, and that's okay, and you will be okay.

In fact, you are already more than "okay."

Now, that is an influencer. 

More at hiddencottageatlinncroft.com

1 comment: