Monday, May 22, 2023

Our Dishes Have Dishes

A claim Andy makes often. 


I've been looking for some cute things for the cottage, and sorting items from things I already have. I try not to make impulse purchases since we already have a pretty good inventory.

But these dishes were so cute. I found them at Target, but they were not on sale. So unlike me to even consider paying full retail. I even left the store once and came back. The plates were calling to me, and I know why. 

They remind me of a set of dishes my grandmother, Mae, had when I was a child. A set of melamine dishes from the 60s I think, in 4 different colors with speckles on them. I ate off of those plates a gazillion times at my grandparent's house. All of the grandchildren did. 

Pancakes on Sunday mornings after Sunday school. Mae's spaghetti and salad with toast. All sorts of modified Swedish dishes with potatoes and cabbage. Tomato soup and tuna fish sandwiches. Birthday cake.

Gosh, I miss that woman. And her husband, and her son, all of whom sat down so many times at the same table with me and ate off of those speckled dishes.

So when I saw these, I just couldn't let them go. 

I can't wait for my family and friends to visit the cottage so they can start making memories. I guess I'm hopeful that when used in the cottage, these cute plates will  make a similar impression on whomever eats off them. Maybe the speckles will help cement the memory, hopefully a great one. 












Look at how good they look with the ones I already had!

A completely justified purchase, even at full price. 

(Although I'm 100% sure Mae would have told me to wait until they went on sale.)


No comments:

Post a Comment